Site built cabinets:
My customer hired me to fabricate cabinets to match those existing in her kitchen plus add an additional, upper layer of cabinets. I was also bidding to remove the cabinet soffets to make room for the upper layer of cabinets and reconfigure the existing cabinets. I discovered that the cabinets built on site in the mid 1930s were sparsely assembled, not able to withstand modification, and were not given a back, or top panel. Any disruption of the plaster wall meant the cabinets would have to be pulled in order to repair the plaster. In the end, I manufactured all new cabinets.
I removed two walls, thus merging a hallway and undersized nook resulting in a much larger kitchen. The column on the left (below) supports one end of a hidden glulam beam, buried in the ceiling. The opening to the dining room on the lower right used to be a doorway. I removed the door and doubled the opening width, all the while maintaining an arch style that is used elsewhere in the house.